It was 103 degrees here on Sunday. Like the rest of the US, Denver is in the middle of a heat wave and it’s tough to stay comfortable. If you’re like me you don’t have AC so I decided to put together a little list of things you might be useful in keeping cool.
- If you work in an airconditioned office stay at work late, sweltering days like this are perfect for getting a little extra work done.
- Take a cold shower (with peppermint soap) before you go to bed.
- If you are using a fan place a bowl of icecubes in front of it.
- Also, draping a sheet soaked in cold water infront of a fan can help.
- Cook what you can using the microwave versus the store or oven.
- Even better, use a slow cooker or crockpot.
- And even better than that, have a cold salad for dinner (iceberg lettuce, damn I’m funny).
- Freeze grapes to eat.
- Eat less. Smaller meals with less protein will reduce metabolic heat.
- Suck on a salted ice cube.
- Drink lots of ice water.
- Wear light colored, loose fitting clothing.
- Even better, wear nothing at all.
- At least take off your shoes or hat while indoors.
- Get a small towel, soak it in water (or even ice water), wring it out a little and put it around your neck.
- Mist yourself with a spray bottle. Then lay in front of the fan.
- Do laundry at night, and try to hang clothes out to dry in the sun instead of running the dryer.
- Drink frozen margs and eat cerviche.(note: this is not really effective).
- Keep the air flowing. Turn on the ceiling fan or box fan in the room.
Don’t make yourself a fan out of paper and use it to wave air past
your face and neck, the activity created by
waving actually burns calories and raises your core temperature.
- Sleep in a ‘spread eagle’ position.
- Read Jack London’s “To Build A Fire“.
- Make a homemade airconditioner (I’ve never actually tried this one but it looks cool [pun intended]).
- Get a chillow (haven’t tried this one either but it seems like it’d work)
- Go to a movie / library / bookstore / mountains.
What do you do to stay cool?