- Based on a nightmarish dream, Robert Louis Stevenson wrote The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
- Russian ambassador Aleksandr Borosovich Kurakin introduced the practice of serving meals in courses.
- Frederic William Herschel, an English astronomer, invented the contact lens.
- American sprinter Evelyn Ashford won her final Olympic gold medal at age 35, old for a sprinter.
- Amedeo Avogadro developed Avogadro’s hypothesis.
- Law School professor Anita Hill charged that Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomas made indecent remarks to her.
- Margie Profet proposed a new theory of menstruation which claims that menstruation protects against infection and won a MacArthur Foundation “genius” grant.
- Astronaut Buzz Aldrin achieved his life’s ambition at age 35 and wondered, what do you do after that?
Mozart stopped composing and started, well, you know.